Monday, December 30, 2013

Hours Rated: PG-13


Tory Says:

I’m a huge Paul Walker fan and was devastated to hear of his passing on November 30th. In the two weeks following his death both Fast & Furious 6 (DVD) and Hours (Limited Theaters) were released.

I had been very much looking forward to Hours and I wasn’t disappointed. Hours is about a father, played by Walker, who loses his wife to childbirth during Hurricane Katrina. His daughter is born but is 5 weeks early and must be in an incubator for 48 hours to survive. Due to the force of the hurricane, the hospital is evacuated but he refuses to leave his daughter. A nurse promises to come back with help so he stays…and then the power goes out. There is a backup battery but it is faulty and he must hand crank a generator every 3 minutes to keep the power going and keep his daughter alive.

Even if Walker had been alive, this would have been an intense movie. There are a few funny parts but for the most part, very serious. One of his better films. Few actors could pull off this much screen time alone but he does it very well! I felt like I was there, holding my breath for the whole film. As a parent I totally understand the lengths to which you are willing to go for your child.

It was perfectly timed too. Only 90 minutes long or so. By the time I thought “Ok. This has to be over soon, right?”…it only had a few minutes left. This is not a film for kids or honestly, anyone under 16. I only say that because there is some violence and I don’t think they would appreciate the subject matter. I think they would be bored. For adults though, I recommend it. Is it Oscar worthy…eh…I’m not sure. Is it worth it? YES! I give it an 8.5 out of 10. Only because I found myself wanting a little more at the end.

 
SPOILER ALERT:**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

 It DOES have a good ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment