Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Frozen Rated: G

Tory Says: 

I am a Disney fanatic…really I am. I love Disney movies, I go to Disneyland almost every year and even my toddler is in love with Mickey Mouse! So of course I just HAD to go see Frozen.
Wow! Wow…did I mention WOW! For me, this is in the top 5 animated Disney movies of all time. (Not counting Pixar films.) I want to just take over a theater for a day and watch it over and over and over…but that’s just not possible. I might be the first person in line to buy it when it comes out though.

Frozen is about two sisters who are princesses. One sister, Elsa has magical powers to control ice and snow while her sister Anna is just a normal, rambunctious girl. One day, there is an accident and Anna is hurt by Elsa’s powers. So Elsa (through her choice but more her parents) is separated into another room in their castle so she can learn to control and not hurt anyone with her powers. Also, Anna’s memories of magic are stripped so she has no idea Elsa has powers. Well one day, when Elsa’s secret gets out and she is shunned from the kingdom. Upset and feeling alone, she runs away leaving the kingdom in eternal winter. Anna goes after her sister to try to talk her into stopping the winter. Along the way she makes friends with Kristoff an ice dealer, Sven, his trusty reindeer and Olaf a lovable snowman who was brought to life with Elsa's powers.

Of course it has the great Disney lessons about love, trust and friendship. Nothing too scary (my toddler was just fine seeing it) and beyond fantastic music! I can’t rave about this one enough. My absolute favorite part is that Anna (our heroine) is not a pushover. She is a quirky, clumsy and daring princess. A wonderful role model for little girls. I’ve noticed Disney has been doing this lately and I love it!!! (Ex. Brave, Tangled, Frozen…) My husband and I have seen it twice. My niece (who is 4) is obsessed and so is my sister. I’ve yet to meet someone who didn’t love it! GO SEE IT! Take your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents…they will love it too. If I could give this an 11 I would but I do give it a 10 out of 10. A must see and a must own. 

Cat Says:

Our family are huge Disney fans so it was hard to wait until Christmas Day to go see this film especially since everyone I knew had been to see it several times already! So it was with much anticipation that we went to go see it and it didn't let us down.

Tory outlined the story above so I don't need to go over it again. We've been a fan of Idina Menzel (Elsa here) since Enchanted but had never heard Kristen Bell (Anna here) sing before. It was wonderful! This is a true musical...in other words, dialog that would be spoken is often sung here instead, so there is a lot of singing going on for the entire film. The songs are catchy so be prepared to go get the soundtrack or head out to itunes for your favorites.

But it's the story here that will touch you. Two little girls who are brought up in such seclusion and how they are each frustrated by their circumstances. Because of this they don't make great decisions when they are faced with real life situations but they have had to rely upon themselves for so long that they are able to figure it all out in the end. And this is what I love about this film. That the princesses don't "need" some guy to come save them. They save themselves. Add in a singing snowman and you have a winner!

I give it an 8 out of 10. Not my favorite Disney musical but right up there in the top 5!

Barbara Says:

As a lover of these kind of films it is hard to disappoint me with one.  I enjoyed Frozen and some of the songs were very good. The movie had funny areas too and I liked those.  Well made and beautiful scenes. But as an older woman did not as get as caught up as others in my family did.  Sorry, but loved The Little Mermaid or The Princess and The Frog a whole lot more. Now do not get me wrong here. It is a good movie and you should go see it for sure on the big screen so those beautiful scenes are in their full glory. The girl being kept away because she is different from others has a good lesson for young people at most but for older ones as well.  The fact that you can still love those people is a lesson a great deal of people could learn.  Also, that something that looks terrible on the surface can be turned into something good if you just try would be great for people to come to grips with too.     People give up too easy today (would never have made it in the early days of Indians and covered wagons) and need to learn a little more to fight on till the end and change the outcome.  Nothing is ever final, except death.  And love, well , love is most definitely the answer to all our troubles in this world. Out of 10 I would give it a 7 for story and a 10 for beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment